Writing of a compare and contrast essay high school vs college is quite a widespread assignment because it helps students develop and improve their skills of critical thinking, analyzing, including analytical reasoning and structuring papers. When writing a compare and contrast essay high school vs college, you need to take a fresh look at the subject of your research, while searching for similarities and different characteristics between two or several issues, events, phenomena, people etc. As a matter of fact, the common purpose of compare and contrast essay high school vs college is to provide a deep analysis of two objects. A well-written compare and contrast paper has not only to demonstrate how the two objects are similar or different, but instead, it foresees that you provide a strong and logical argument supporting your point. While it is sometimes rather overwhelming to cope with this kind of writing assignment, you can deal with it the best possible way, if you follow our advice and tips provided in this article.
At first, read and reread your assignment very attentively and carefully. A common mistake usually done by students in this area is that they don’t pay enough of attention to the instructions and requirements of their writing assignment. Thus, they don’t achieve the needed result. Therefore, you need to ensure that you know precisely what you are asked to do. Discuss it with your professor, if you are not sure about something and ask for additional clarifications. Asking questions is normal, you shouldn’t be afraid of clarifying what is not understandable for you. Also, you may ask your friends or parents for advice.
Remember that the earlier you begin writing your compare and contrast essay high school vs college the better you will write it. Remarkable essays cannot be written within a couple of hours. There has to be proper preparation beforehand. Even formulating a good thesis statement requires spending considerable amount of time, if not to mention other important stages of accomplishing this writing assignment such as looking for additional sources, brainstorming, formulating your key ideas and looking for arguments and evidences.
In any case, in order to write a good paper, there has to be a good topic. Think thoroughly of objects that could be compared in your compare and contrast essay high school vs college. Remember that you need to consider only those objects that belong to the same category, although can be compared due to their differences at the same time. For example, you cannot compare food and clothes, but you can compare two different dishes. Also, keep in mind that the two objects of your comparative paper need to be discussed and compared meaningfully. By this, we mean that you need not only to show what is common and different between them, but to explain why you think so and give proper evidences.
- Do research on the topic of your paper. Brainstorming itself is good, but you need to do deep and wide research if you want your paper to be remarkable. It is important that you figure out the connections and all possible distinctions between the objects that you are going to compare.
- If you are already assigned to write on a specific topic, it is still important to do research. The more information you know about your objects of comparison, the better you will write your essay.
- Create a list and write down all the similarities, as well as differences between the objects of your comparison. Make up two columns, each of which would include common and different features. Think of as many elements to provide as possible, as long as this is what the success of your paper depends on.
- Consider creating a diagram. It is especially useful if the similarities and differences between the objects tend to change within certain period of time.
- Ask yourself the following questions: what is different? Why is it different? How is it different? Where is it different? The same concerns similarities. Here, it would be also useful to create a list in order not to get confused follow proper structure while writing.
- Jot down all the gaps that your paper may have. A good-written high school vs college essay compare and contrast needs to enlighten all the aspects of the assigned topic without ignoring any important issues. Be attentive and make sure you didn’t miss anything significant.
- Make up an outline. Here, you need to write a good thesis statement in the first section of your essay, which would focus on the main argument and the key idea of your paper. Make your thesis statement quite specific, but remember making it narrow at the same time.
- Organize your essay appropriately. It needs to be provided with an introduction part, the body part (with usually three body paragraphs) and, eventually, the conclusion part. Every part has a particular purpose and is important in its own way. While the body part will provide most of information, the introduction and conclusion will make the first and last impression on your reader.
- Make your writing clear and coherent. Don’t overuse complex phrases and avoid saying things like you are not an expert in this area, etc. Be professional and your reader will believe you.
Follow these tips and you will successfully cope with college vs high school essay compare and contrast.