Writing of a critical essay about literature works is something that students usually have to do for their literature classes. As a matter of fact, such kind of writing assignment foresees that you provide a critical analysis of a novel, poem, short story, etc. and offer your own interpretation of a certain aspect of the assigned piece of literature in order to enlighten it in a wider context. For instance, a critical analysis of a short story can be focused on such aspect of it as the tone of the story, and analyze in what way it affects the overall context of the short story, its meaning and so on. At the same time, a critical analysis might provide research on the role of symbolism in the assigned short story, analysis of main characters, of the plot of the story and so on. In this article, you will learn how to cope with writing The story of an hour essay in a critical analysis manner. If you follow our tips and guidelines, you will get your paper well-written very soon, just try to be attentive and remember beginning to work on your writing assignment beforehand.
If your are assigned to write The story of an hour essay you need to read the short story first. It is an outstanding literature work of a famous writer, Kate Chopin, that enlightens a number of important issues that one can face in life. This is a story about love, pain, woman’s state of consciousness and other things that people often deal with in life. It is partly a biographical writing representing a major period of life of the author. This story is very interesting and useful to be read because it can teach you a lot. Your essay on The story of an hour will have to provide argumentation supporting your major points, so it is important that you read the short story very carefully and pay attention to all the details. Sometimes the most significant element in a short story turns out to be a little detail. That is why you need not to miss it, otherwise you won’t get your paper written in a good manner and a high mark, eventually. In any case, we recommend reading the following guidelines, as long as they describe all the essential steps that you need to undertake in order to get a nice remarkable paper.
The majority of methods describing how to write a critical essay are very similar because all critical essays have the same purpose. The differences depend only on specific requirements of your assignment, which includes the format of the paper, the style, the number of words and so on. For this reason, before you begin to work on your paper, you need to clarify all these moments and make sure you know what your assignment requires you to do. Ask your professor for additional clarifications, if appropriate, and to explain you all the instructions until you understand them clearly. After that, try to follow the next steps:
- Read the short story in a critical manner. You have to be really familiar with the primary literature work in order to be able to analyze it. Find a comfortable and quiet place for reading and avoid distracting factors, including your phone, music player, television, etc.
- Remember taking notes all the time when reading. You need to write down all the ideas that come to your mind, as well as important elements of the plot, features describing the main characters and so on.
- Ask yourself the following questions and write the answer down: what the short story is about? What are the major ideas of the short story? What is the puzzle? What, to your mind, objective did the author try to approach? In what way is the short story accomplishing the objective of the author?
- Once you have read the assigned short story, you need to take a look at your notes and try to identify the overall picture, the main issues enlightened in the short story, its moral, components of the plot, major problems, the emphasis of the story and so on.
- Look for some additional sources. Even if you are not required to use additional sources when writing your paper, it would be helpful anyway. You will learn a second opinion and get ideas for your paper. But avoid copying what somebody has already written and use only trustworthy sources.
- Evaluating your additional sources is an important step if you need to provide references in your paper. It is only acceptable to use sources that provide the author’s name, other essential information about the author proving that he is competent in that or another area.
- Make a strong thesis. Your thesis has to provide quite detailed information about what you want to say to your reader. By reading it, the reader will come to know the main idea of your paper and major issues enlightened in it. At the same time, your thesis has to be a rather arguable and, of course, effective.
- Divide your essay into three parts: the introduction, the body and the conclusion. Include your thesis into the introduction part, discuss the main ideas and prove them with argumentation in the body part of your paper and provide a summary of the overall content in the conclusion part.
- Make your first and last sentences impressive. This is what the reader will start reading your paper with and this is how he will finish reading it. Make those sentences clear and effective.
- When writing the conclusion part, summarize all the most significant points of your paper and demonstrate how your arguments prove your major point.